Why You Need A Will
It is never too early to write your Will, but all too often Will writing is left too late. And yet everyone knows what a Will is and most people agree that they need one. Here are some of the reasons you should write your Will today:
- If you don’t make a Will, on your death – assuming you leave an inheritance – you will have died intestate. This can be as painful as it sounds for your loved ones, who may suffer financial hardship and distress whilst your affairs are sorted out – a time when they least need it.
- If you do make a Will, the legal process in dealing with your affairs will be easier, and much less painful at a time when your loved ones will need all the help that they can get.
- If you don’t make a Will, you will have no control over who will inherit what you own. On an intestacy, who inherits what depends on which of your relatives is alive at your death and how large your estate is. Spouses may not receive everything and charities, friends and unmarried partners will definitely receive nothing.
- If you do make a Will then you can name the beneficiaries (including charities and friends if you so wish) and you will know with certainty who will inherit from your efforts.
- If you don’t make a Will then your family may have to employ professionals to sort out the mess that you leave behind. Their charges could mean that they become significant beneficiaries of your estate.
- If you do make a Will, your family will have clear directions on how to deal with your affairs and may not need to employ (and pay) professionals.
- If you don’t make a Will and you are a parent of young children, you will have no control over who looks after them should anything happen to you. In such circumstances, the courts will appoint someone on your behalf – someone that you may not have chosen.
- If you do make a Will, you can appoint guardians of your choice who will look after your children until they reach the age of eighteen.
Please note, some of these services are not available in the UAE. For more information, please contact us.